...

...

Monday, January 25, 2010

steadier on the heart

"He felt a flash of jealousy as do friends when they lose another to love, especially those who have understood that friendship is enough, steadier, healthier, easier on the heart. Something that always added and never took away."*
That quote sums up my experiences from the past few days. I've been maintaining my vow of fence-walking sobriety and because of that I have much less to write about. No one wants to read about your sunny picnic in the woods, my creative writing professor once told me, they only want to know about the ants and the lightning. Well, I have to say anyway that the weather has been fucking perfect.
Friday I did stay out late, chasing down a stupid party but having a lot of fun in the process, and I got to see an old friend of mine (and we drank together, which felt like for the first time) and if she were writing this blog she'd have to tell you about falling off her bike, over and over again at the same intersection.
The rest of my weekend I spent riding my bike on the trail, finishing a book (the Inheritance of Loss) and starting a new one (La Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver). It's nice to wear shorts again and be busy outside. Staying busy is really the trick. Now that I have band practice to look forward to and my upcoming trip to Mexico, staying in and not drinking seems easier. After this weekend, which I plan on being incredibly, stark raving wasted (just kidding, I swear) the drummer in my band and myself are going to go on a Black Metal Master Cleanse, in which we do that stupid water-lemon-cayenne pepper-maple syrup-water diet but also only listen to black metal while we do it. That starts Monday and I'm sure I'm going to have a lot to document, it will be probably be depressing, and incredibly awful, and you'll have a lot of fun reading it.



*The Inheritance of Loss, Kiran Desai, pg. 273

2 comments:

  1. The quote at the beginning of this passage really hit me. I was actually talking about something just like this with a friend recently. At least if I'm interpretting it correctly. It seems to be a solid truth that friendships support and nurture while relationships, eventually take away and fade and destroy. I'm very thankful to have some amazing people in my life but I still find myself wanting something more. I've also had it pointed out to me that I tend to abandon my friends when I find love. I now realize how unhealthy and unfair this is to the friends that were there when I was alone. Also, I think its productive to write about the positive things that are happening as well as the bad stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. in the very lease it's always good to recognize our friends for what they are (possibly my saving grace, it seems like).

    ReplyDelete