...

...

Sunday, January 3, 2010

01/01/10 and 01/02/10

"Thus they went on in a reality that was slipping away, momentarily captured by words, but which would escape irremediably when they forgot the values of the written letters."*

I made up my mind about drinking less before I made up my mind about writing everything down. A customer at work brought up the idea, he said he'd written down everything he would drink for a month in order to add up all the calories. I don't really care about calories, but maybe it's something else I need to be adding up entirely. Anyway, the past two days have been easy.
Friday night I didn't even plan to go out. Gainesville has officially gotten cold, real fucking cold, and I planned on spending my night cuddled up next to my space heater and the internet. Instead I labored out of the house with my leather jacket and my roommate and headed out to the house show on the South East side. It being Friday, and ourselves being ourselves, we stopped by the bar first. I told myself originally, no more than three drinks at a time, and hopefully with one or two exceptions I can keep that as a general rule for my little experiment, or goal, or whatever the fuck it is. So far, so good. I had a shot of tequila and a Tecate, and she drank a Modelo. I forget what we talked about, but I think we just had one of those nice easy conversations about boys where we never really come to any conclusions other than that they're cute and kissing them is fun. I had one more shot, this time with her, and she had another beer while I finished mine. Exactly three drinks. We went to the show, got cold, tried to have fun around the fire, watched St. Dad cover Joy Division, got cold some more, and got a ride home after the cops showed up. I think it was the first house show I've been to in awhile where I wasn't drinking a four pack of tall boys.
Today I went on some sort of suburban shopping adventure with my friends. We ended up at Satchels and I had a glass of red wine. Later, at work, I drank another glass of red wine while I was closing. Also while at work I had the aforementioned conversation that led me to this, wide awake at 3:30 in the morning. Cheers to the New Year, and may my reality continue to be merry, and bright.

*from One Hundred Years of Solitude, pg 49.

1 comment: